Thursday 7 February 2013

Blogruary Day 7: The Subway

The food in the canteen at university charges ridiculous prices for horrible, stale and bland food. This daily problem has been the bane of my life ever since I started my course last September, however, I was pleased to discover something that eased this pain.

Last December I discovered there was a branch of Subway on campus hidden away in the student bar.

An underwhelming sandwich, bottle of soft-drink and a snack would come to around £4 in the canteen but a delicious 6" sub, cookie and drink comes to just £3.49 in Subway. It's a no-brainer.

Today was the fourth day in a row that Subway provided my lunch - Spicy Italian (Honey Oat, Cheese and Toasted, Peppers, Sweetcorn and Lettuce), Rainbow Cookie and a Sprite from the pump.

I have become accustomed to the same order every day and I'm suspecting that the staff will soon be able to pre-guess my order before I even reach the counter.

After the oven had warmed up my sub and melted the cheese, I noticed that the customer behind me was quite the food rebel. He has ordered a Meatball Marinara but was quick to tell the staff that he wanted some chicken tikka thrown into what was now a crazy mix of food.

I shrugged off his rebellious ways and stuck to the same choice of salad once our subs were released from the piping-hot oven.

I finished my order and waited for the card machine to accept my payment and then the customer reached the drink ordering phase of the long-winded Subway process.

"Can I have Sprite and Fanta mixed together!" He yelped at the man who operated the drinks and proved himself to be an off-the-menu-ordering-aficionado.

This was a character to admire. I love making a super-mix (Sprite, Fanta and Coke) at those machines in Nando's but I don't think I could go through with appearing that difficult and childish.

No comments:

Post a Comment