Tuesday 5 February 2013

Blogruary Day 5: The Cycle to University

I've begun to notice that my walk to university is a tiring and lengthy affair.

If there is one thing you should know about me it is that I walk really quickly. Being tall means that I have fairly long legs but I also leave home pretty late every morning with little time to spare, so my only option is to walk at the speed of light to make class on time.

The route that I take to university would probably take around 30 to 40 minutes for the average human. However, at my lightning speed, I reach campus in exactly 22 minutes. Yes, I have walked so many times that I have timed the average journey.

Walking quickly and doing the same route twice a day usually leaves my poor legs feeling tired, so I came up with the ingenious idea of cycling into uni.

It would take only five minutes, it would be easier than walking and I would be fitter as a result. I instructed my dad to get my bike ready for use and today it was waiting there for me in the back garden like a triumphant soldier standing to attention.

I got on the bike and began to pedal for the first time in eight months. This was easy. This was thrilling. This was quick.

After the simple start cycling through the alley-way next to my local park, I reached the first challenge, a small but lengthy hill.

I began to feel the strain and it quickly came flooding back to me that cycling is more difficult than it looks.

The rest of the route was equally as challenging with the tyres on my mountain bike proving difficult to turn on a gripping and draining road. It was like I was being punished for trying to be healthy.

Eventually I reached campus and locked my bike up.

"I am never doing that again." I thought to myself defiantly.

After the punishing ride, I seemed to have forgotten the fact I would have to cycle home.

No comments:

Post a Comment